Malta Nomad Residence Permit


Malta has been attracting a significant number of digital nomads from the European Union who are enticed by the island’s lifestyle and climate. Relocating to Malta is a smooth process for various reasons; English is Malta’s official language making it easy for non-Maltese nationals to communicate. The island also offers all the ingredients for being the ideal remote working base such as a reputable health system, good internet connection, and great air and sea links making Malta well connected to the rest of the world.

The aim of the Malta Nomad Residence Permit (NRP) is to grant Non-EU nationals the right to live in Malta whilst being employed in another country. The NRP is hence open for digital nomads who can work remotely using telecommunication means. The right to reside in Malta is given either in the form a residence permit or in the form of a national visa depending on the intended duration of stay.

Who is eligible to apply for the Malta Nomad Residence Permit?

Applicants interested in applying for the Malta Nomad Residence Permit must first and foremost be Non-EU nationals and reach a gross monthly income of €2,700.

Applicant must also prove that they fall under one of the following categories:

  1. Conduct business activities for a company registered outside of Malta and of which the applicant is a partner or a shareholder,
  2. Work for an employer registered in a foreign country and have an employment contract,
  3. Offer freelance or consulting services to clients whose permanent establishments are in a foreign country, and with whom the applicant has contracts.

Applicants who fall under one of these categories must:

  • Hold a valid travel document,
  • Have a health insurance policy,
  • Buy or Rent Property in Malta,
  • Pass a background verification check

What is the duration of the Nomad Residence Permit?

Depending on the intended duration of stay, a Malta Nomad Residence Permit can be issued for one year and renewable if the applicant still meets the set eligibility criteria.

Applicants who intend to reside in Malta for less than one year will be issued with a National Visa valid for 91 – 180 days.

Can family members join the Digital Nomad in Malta?

Family members of an applicant who has applied or been approved under the Nomad Residence Permit in Malta can also apply for a residence permit. An applicant’s spouse, minor children and economically dependent adult children are therefore eligible to be included. A government application fee of €300 per family member is applicable.

In addition, the main applicant must also earn an additional 20% of the Malta median wage for each family member to be included.

What is the process to apply for the Malta Nomad Residence Permit?

An application under the Malta Nomad Residence Permit is to be submitted by the applicant together with the required supporting documentation and a government fee of €300 for the main applicant, and an additional €300 for each family applicant. Together with the application, the applicant is required to present a letter of intent explaining the motivations to obtain a Nomad Residence Permit and the intended duration of stay. Once an application has been submitted, due diligence checks are carried out by local authorities and the applicant is notified on the outcome of the application.

If the application is approved, the applicant is invited to visit Malta to conclude the application.
Applicants who intend to spend up to 180 days in Malta will be issued with a National Visa while those who intend to spend up to 365 days or more will be issued with a Residence Permit.

Processing of applications take approximately 30 days from the receipt of all required documentation and application forms.

How can we assist?

As a Maltese immigration firm, our team of lawyers has assisted numerous Non-EU nationals and their family members to obtain residence in Malta, including support to the newly launched Key Employee Initiative Malta

Contact us for further information on the Malta Nomad Residence Permit and other residency programmes.